Sunday, October 29, 2006

Psychic Connections

These pictures were taken Friday. We have big fat flakes of fresh snow falling right now. I'm happy to see it, because if we don't get a good covering early, then it usually turns bitter cold, & things freeze & ice. It's much nicer to have a little fluffy white to insulate things.

Our friends Mindy & John came over last night again, for a relaxing meal. It was a last minute thing, so I pulled a big bag of chicken wings out of the freezer & tossed them in the oven. Mindy brought fixings for a pear salad, & Warren went to the Flying Dutchman, & got a Pumpkin Flan. It's the best bakery in Anchorage. The wings were tequila-Lime from Tyson. He got them at Costco, & if you ever see them, get some & try them. We all loved them!

Christie, Mindy & John's middle daughter, won a Regional Irish dance competition in Arizona last weekend. Now we have to make a dress for Nationals. The dresses they use are like very fancy applique & embroidered quilts built into the shape of dresses. Christie borrowed one from a friend, to bring over to show me, so I could see how it's constructed. I've always told them I would make one for them when they needed it. John did a lot of construction on our house, & wouldn't let us pay him, & Mindy & the girls helped insulate & paint, & nail & screw, & sand & strip paint on old furniture, so I feel I owe them. These dresses sell for over $1000.00, so it's not your every day dress. I was amazed at how heavy it was. The skirt has big box pleats, that flash when they dance, & it has a stiff batting, like Timtex, & it feels just like Lutradure in the back side of the pleats. Christie wants snowflakes on her dress, to represent the fact that she's from Alaska, & since I'm the snowflake Queen, it'll be easy for me to include snowflakes on her dress.
Christie & I have an interesting connection. I went on the internet, & did a search for dresses. I printed out 3 that I thought were similar to what she would like. When they got here, they were amazed, because there were 4 she had found on the internet, that she liked the style of, & I had printed out 3 of the 4. That may not sound that amazing to you, but there were hundreds of dresses, on about 30 web pages that I looked at, & Mindy hadn't told me which web pages to look on!
Once when we were in Michigan, for Warren to go to school. I had injured my back when lifting a 450# person at work, & was laying on the floor at home, trying to make the pain ease, Mindy called me to find out if I was ok, because Christie had woke up from her nap (she was 2 years old at the time), & told her mom I had fallen down. She insisted "Debbie is hurt". Now what's really remarkable about this, Christie hardly even knew us at the time, because she wasn't even a year old when we left Alaska, to go back to school.
Another time, we were planning a trip back to Alaska, & we wanted surprise everyone, so we hadn't told them, & as we were getting ready to leave for the airport, the phone rang & it was Mindy. She said Christie had woke up that morning insisting that she should call me. She wanted to know if everything was all right. Mindy nearly fainted the next day when we walked into her office at work. That was a fun surprise!

8 comments:

Emmy said...

OOOO snow It is here 15 degrees so far from winter but it looks great

Digitalgran said...

Sounds as if there is a connection there. I really believe some people can do this.

Kay said...

What great stories! Some people really do seem to have a connection; it will be interesting to see if this lasts as she gets older.

The dress will be a real labor of love. Irish dancing is a big deal here, so I know what they look like. Good luck. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

KC Quilter said...

Oh, those snow pix are gorgeous!!! I love snow--as long as I don't have to drive in it LOL.

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like Mindy and Christie have "the gift." I can't wait to see how this dress turns out. The only Irish dancing I'm familiar with is Michael Flatley et al. I wouldn't guess the dresses were so heavily armored.

The snow is beautiful.

allie aller said...

I'd love to see pictures of the dress as it comes along...
Lovely story!

Anonymous said...

My poor little upstate South Carolina children start wishing for snow about September and wish for it all through what are mostly snow-free winters here. Last year we did have a big ice storm that knocked out a lot of power and caused a lot of other problems but hardly any snow. Once in a blue moon we have a really good one. Maybe this will be our year. Thanks for sharing the pix.

laura west kong said...

I'm sure the dress will be terrific! Can't wait to see a photo.