Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Home Decorating

Yesterday I got a decorating bug. Too much sitting around watching H&G TV. I went looking through my old quilt & quilt top collection to bring some more color to the living room, & the minute I flipped up the 1st quilts, Broccoli jumped up & held it down for me. Isn't that sweet of him?
I went out to the garage & got the other old ladder that we had. It was too tall to stand up anywhere inthe house, so I cut it in 1/2, & screwed the shorter end up on the wall behind the wood stove.
I covered the rungs with some layers of cheese cloth to protect the quilt tops, then just hung them on the ladder.

THe other thing I did last night, was take some sheets that I've had for 16 years, & never used, & cut off one end, made tie-backs with the extra fabric, & turned them into curtains for the living room. I'm still not satisfied with them, but they're better than what was there before.

Today I head back to work. Resting the shoulder has been a little boring, as I couldn't do a lot of things, (like quilt on a large quilt), but I'm sure I'll be worn out by Friday, since I've gotten used to just relaxing at home. No rest for the wicked I guess.

10 comments:

Lei Lei said...

I should of been taking notes while visiting. I know my mom plans on using a couple of your ideas in her new home (like the big decorative bowls for sinks). Cute Cute Cute....

Jen said...

Looks great, and you are going to enjoy having some of your quilts out where you can see them. I know from personal experience that watching too much HGTV can be dangerous...
I always like to do a little something with home decor, even if its one of those "no money" projects. Jen

His Office, My Studio said...

You are handy with tools too. The quilts add warmth and make your rooms very cozy.

What is the weather like in Alaska this time of the year?

Jenni said...

I love your house with all the timber, and the ladder with the quilts on it looks great. Hope you don't need that ladder again since you cut it in half! I made my first postcard this week - not as adventurous as yours though

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb, ya gotta watch out for that HGTV. And what you said about relaxing at home, I beg to differ. The only time I can relax is when I'm away from home!

Anonymous said...

What a good helper kitty - I have been on the lookout for an old wooden ladder for a long time - the orange metal monster that I own & that lives in the living room (UGH!) doesn't do the trick...

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't worry about hanging anything on your panelled walls that doesn't fit in the groove? My former Mother-in-law could only hang something if the nail fit in the groove! Kind of stifles the ole creativity!!

Deb Geyer said...

I like that ladder idea! Thanks for sharing.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Great ideas. My hubby won't let me put anything near our wood stove. He's a little over cautious, but maybe that's good huh? Love your little helper. I've got two helpers and they can be fun.

Emmy said...

so warm and cosy thanks for sharing